Summary: This is a simple appetizer recipe that looks stunning without being too much of a hassle. You can use store bought hummus and adjust for seasoning but personally I love making home made hummus. It’s simple and your guests will be able to tell the difference. Plus leftover hummus makes a healthy snack when paired with carrots…or a delicious light lunch when paired with other veggies and stuffed into a pita or eaten as an open faced sandwich.
Directions: 1. Toast a slice of whole grain bread or pita.
2. Cut thin slices of tomato, european cucumber and white onion.
3. Spread some chickpea hummus onto the bread or pita pieces. Cut into 4 pieces.
4. Now layer each piece of bread/pita with the 3 cucumber slices, then with 1 tomato slice and top with 2-3 pieces of onion.
5. Garnish with a small arugula leaf.
6. Season with some salt, pepper & paprika.
**Repeat the previous steps if making more canapé pieces. This also pairs lovely with rustic fresh bread.