This savory dish is perfect by itself as a quick weeknight dinner, done with leftover rice! However, the complex savors make it worthy of company. It would go excellent with any savory piece of protein such as fish, chicken or lean beaf.
- 2 cups of leftover rice (I prefer Texmati or brown rice)
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- mushrooms, half a pkg
- 1/2 cup parmesan or pecorino cheese
- truffle oil, a drizzle
- basil leaves or spinach, for garnish
1. First slice the white onion thinly and caramelize it with some olive oil on medium heat. Meanwhile chop the mushrooms (to the preferred size). Add them along with the onions. Add the can of black beans with their juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. This should take about 5-8 min.
2. When the onion and mushrooms have reduced in size, add the leftover rice and stir well. Switch to low heat. Cover with a lid and wait 10 min for the flavors to incorporate.
3. Meanwhile shred about 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese. Add to the rice, stir and cover.
4. For a little extra taste, drizzle a small amount of truffle oil. As garnish add some diced fresh basil leaves (or minced spinach for added nutrition and that lovely hint of green). Adjust seasoning if necessary.
TIP – for a lighter version: skip the truffle oil and add only 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese.